Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lemon Matcha Pound Cake

So I realize I am WAY too late to have any sort of Easter update. . . what is wrong with me?? I feel like I have been chronically like 15 minutes late to everything for the past few weeks- translating to like a week late on the blog. It's driving me crazy! I am zoo going to make a conscious effort to be on time for a change, but until then- here's a better late than never Easter update. . .

Does this happen to anyone else? I know exactly why it happens every time too, yet I fail to stop doing the same thing over. If I have an extra 10 minutes I always try to fit in some sort of like 30 minute activity just to see if I can get it done and be able to check it off my list. I usually do finish but not with enough time to get where I'm going.. . anyways!

This pound cake! Again made at the last minute in a huge time crunch- just because I have wanted to make this pound cake for a long time now. It was a favorite on my computer before I even got on Pinterest! Now That's a long time people! So when we decided to have an impromptu friend brunch on Easter Sunday at 5:45pm on Saturday I knew I had to make this cake. It was the perfect Spring-y dessert that wouldn't be too heavy!

YIPPEE! Off to Whole Foods for matcha powder I went! It sounds super fancy but all matcha is, is ground up green tea leaves. It actually has a lot of nutrients that you wouldn't get just from steeping green tea leaves, and many people mix the matcha with warm water for green tea in the morning. It's a really neat product and this was my first venture with it! I expect many more in my future!

I found this recipe on the Joy the Baker blog and I'm so glad I made it for Easter- I got lots of oohs and ahhs! Even from the green averse husband :)

Here's what you need:

2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
zest of one lemon and juice of half a lemon
1 Tablespoon matcha powder
1 stick plus 7 Tablespoons (15 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
Directions: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the loaf pan, dust the insides with flour and tap out the excess. Also line a regular muffin tin with cupcakes papers for the small amount of excess batter.  Set aside. (the batter makes a little bit more than you need for one loaf- that's why you also have  a few muffins too)
Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
Whisk the eggs into the sugar.  You can use a large bowl with a whisk for this- no need to pull out the big guns! Beat until the eggs and sugar are thoroughly incorporated. Whisk in the extract, then whisk in the sour cream. Continuing with the whisk, or switching to a large rubber spatula, gently stir in the dry ingredients in 3 or 4 additions; the batter will be smooth and thick. Finish by folding in the melted butter in 2 or 3 additions.
Pour out half the batter into another bowl- eyeballing it- you don't have to be technical here.  In one bowl add the zest and lemon juice.  In the other bowl, fold in the matcha tea powder.
Pour some of the lemon batter into the pan.  Top it with a portion of the green tea batter.  Add more lemon and top with more green tea batter.  Fill the loaf pan, leaving at least 1-inch of room at the top of the pan for the cake to rise.  Swirl gently and minimally with a butter knife to get a good swirl effect.  With the remaining batter, make mini muffins or cupcakes.
Voila!! baked pound cake all ready for our Easter brunch :)

Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. The cupcakes will take about 18-20 minutes.
Once removed from the oven, allow the loaf to rest in the pan for 20 minutes before running a knife along the edges of the pan and inverting the cake onto a cooling rack.
Seriously- make this for someone or something- it is really quite easy to make- no power tools even required and it is seriously impressive when you slice it up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment