Friday, May 6, 2011

Snickers Cupcakes

I almost did not post this recipe because I feel like all I ever post on here are sweets!!! Here's the problem though- I really like to bake so much more than I like to cook. I cook because I want to eat at home and prefer home cooked food BUT I bake because I LOVE to bake and I have a big  huge sweet tooth- it's something I try not to indulge TOO much but occasionally- and last week I had the perfect opportunity to indulge when I needed to make a dessert for a baby shower I was hosting at work and this is what I chose- trust me- you'll want to as well. This is the second time I've made this recipe for a party and it always gets lots of oohs and ahhs. I even got a "this is the best cupcake I've ever had" email afterwards- that, my friends, is how powerful these little cakes are.

Oh and I do promise to start including more dinner dishes- I have found a few online recently that I want to try! But in the meantime- try these- they are AMAZING and amazingly simple.

 Adapted from My Baking Addiction
What you'll need for the cake:
1 (18.25 ounce) package devil’s food cake mix
1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup plain Greek yogurt (or you could use sour cream)
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs; lightly beaten
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon of vanilla
24-30 frozen Snickers Miniatures

What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line (2) 12 cup muffin tins with paper liners.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs, vanilla and water.
4. Divide the batter amongst the prepared pans, filling a little less than half full. I find the easiest way is to use a medium sized OXO cookie scoop.
5. Gently put a frozen Snickers Miniature bar into the batter and  push just a little to cover the side (basically you just don't want it on the bottom)
6. Come back and divide the rest of the batter evenly between all of the cupcakes using the same cookie scoop method, smoothing the batter to the edges. Fill each cupcake about 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until top is springy to the touch and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. Cool cupcakes thoroughly on wire rack.

What you'll need for the frosting:
2 sticks unsalted butter; room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
~1 1/2 pounds confectioners’ sugar
1/3 cup caramel topping; plus more for drizzling
1/4 teaspoon salt

What you'll do1. Cream the butter and shortening in the bowl of a mixer. Add the vanilla extract, salt and caramel syrup and combine well.
2. Begin adding in the sugar and mixing thoroughly after each addition. I don't always use ALL of the confectioners' sugar but taste after adding the 1st pound and then add in small increments until I'm satisfied. I just think sometimes you lose the caramel flavor if you add too much sugar. For thicker frosting you can gradually add in a little more sugar.
3. Pipe or just use a spatula to spread frosting over the cooled cupcake and garnish with chopped Snickers bars and a drizzle of caramel of caramel syrup (I use a squeeze bottle to drizzle the caramel- it gets the most amazing results!)


1 comment: